My life as a first year Ross School of Business student... trying hard to juggle all the work, all the play, yet still keep everyone in the loop.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Weather and Grades and Participation, Oh My!

We're still at the beginning of November and it's only the second week of Fall B, but there's plenty going on.
Weather
It's official. The weather in Michigan sucks. On my way to class this morning, it started to snow. Not hard, and not long-lasting. But, nevertheless, there was snow on November 6th. It's been absurdly cold, and I know it's not going to get any better. However, repeat after me: "It's only two years."
Grades
Fall A has been over for a long time. Our final assignment/exam was due on October 20th. And finally, two weeks later, all of our grades have been posted. Even though grades don't matter for future marketers, I'm happy to report I did well, and better than I thought I would. Of course, in the odd grading system that is b-school, where curves are forced and 95% of the class gets a Pass or better (which in the letter equivalent system a Pass is the same as a "B"), I know it doesn't mean too much. But I'm still happy and glad that my hard work paid off. I just hope I can keep it up!
Participation
Speaking in public is not my favorite pastime. As opinionated as I can be sometimes, when it comes to class discussion I tend to clam up. I somehow went through Strategy last term without talking (I don't know how that happened), but it's not like the problem goes away. Two of my classes this term (Marketing and MO) are participation intensive. Today in MO I finally (VOLUNTARILY) spoke in class. Even better, the professor said "That's an excellent point." Yippee!!! You know it's a big deal for me when multiple classmates came up to me afterwards and made it a point to congratulate me for speaking. B-school: it's really all about doing things you normally wouldn't do.
Random side comment: Congratulations to Nathalie, who became an aunt today when her sister in Florida delivered twin boys. Welcome to the wonderful world of aunt-hood, where you get to spoil the kids and still give them back when they're acting up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good for you g. that you are participating in class. This is the first step!!
Mom

Aggregate exposure